Friday, June 23, 2006

Official US Playstation Magazine Demo, July 2006

I just started getting this magazine, so I thought I might cover the games that are on the disc that it comes with. Let's see if I can keep this up. And I'll play ALL of them, even if they're not really my genre of choice, just to try to be as objective as possible. Even if they're not the finished product, still have to heckle it if it sucks, right?

Ahh, the beauty of technology. :-D

First up,
Cars (rated E)
Took a pretty long time to load... took a while to load TWICE (after the opening credits it started to load heavy AGAIN)... then the race started. I guess they didn't even want to give a choosing screen, you only get the one character to choose from, the one track. And then it's over. One important thing to note is, despite this being a "kiddie" game, EVERY car on the track is faster than you are. You're the race car, you're slower than the tow truck. And every time you use the boost (which is refillable) or tap another car, you hear the same soundbites over and over again. Bor-ing. But at least the environments and the cars were pretty.

Next comes
Urban Chaos: Riot Response (rated M)
MUCH quicker load time than Cars had. It's ugly, and the controls are a little frustrating (they're a bit on the slow side), but the voice acting is pretty decent, and the environments are fitting. It needs some touch-ups graphically (it looks like it could run on an N64, maybe it'd be REALLY pretty on a PS1), and a bit faster with the controls, but otherwise not too bad.

Follow that is
Pac-Man World Rally (rated E)
Not too bad of load times, and I LOVE the music (all of it is remixed tunes from the original Pac-Man, including making new songs out of the sounds made during the game!), but I'm glad I have this as a demo and not the full game; it's just too easy. I'm not that great at kart racers, but at the medium level it was just WAY too easy to come from behind (if you're ever behind) and win. I came from fourth place about halfway into the last lap, and I STILL won without any trouble. The graphics are nice, and it's easy to pick up and play, but it's in one way completely opposite from Cars: You're faster than ANYTHING ELSE on the track.

And after that we have
Medal of Honor: Frontline (rated T)
The controls are just... slow. The bad guys only reacted one shot at a time (which is frustrating, because you can hit them, they'll react, be fine, and then 3 seconds later you can shoot them again), the graphics are VERY blah, the game feels slow when it's supposed to be a fast-paced environment... if this one isn't cleaned up at all, avoid it. It's just not worth playing.

The rest of the disc has "demo classics," so those are the only new games on it I guess. Kind of slim-pickin's for good stuff. There are a bunch of videos too, but I want to let you know about newer stuff, so I'll tell ya the demos. With this batch of three new ones... could be better. MUCH better. Though Pac-Man World Rally was fun, so that's my pick of the bunch.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

W Las Vegas
Here's a link to DP again